Our 2nd Annual North Pole Live Holiday Song Tournament ended last Thursday, so we wanted to do a quick recap to go over the highlights of the tournament and announce the prediction bracket winner!
Firstly, the winner of the tournament and the song that has officially been named "Best Holiday Song" is "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee.
We started out with the top 64 holiday songs on Billboard's Holiday 100 chart and we narrowed it down to 1 throughout the last month, so there were a ton of big matchups and close battles, especially this final round! In fact, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee only beat out "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams by just 1 vote from the Facebook poll! However, despite the close final battle, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" ultimately beat out every song, including "O Come All Ye Faithful" by Nat King Cole and "Merry Christmas Darling" by Carpenters.
Not only did "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" beat out a lot of big songs, but "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" did as well, including "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Michael Buble and "Do You Hear What I Hear?" by Andy Williams, which both made it into the top 8.
Throughout the tournament, there were some surprising results, such as the much-talked-about classic "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey getting knocked out in the second round and the under-the-radar classic "Merry Christmas Darling" by Carpenters sticking around until the fourth round. Speaking of shocks, last year's winner "White Christmas" was knocked out in the first round! And, last year's second place song "Silent Night" only made it through to the second round before being eliminated.
All in all, when it came down to it, the top 16 songs in order of most votes were as follows:
- Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
- It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams
- O Come All Ye Faithful - Nat King Cole
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Michael Buble
- Do You Hear What I Hear? - Andy Williams
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love
- Merry Christmas Darling - Carpenters
- Santa Claus is Comin' To Town - Jackson 5
- Last Christmas - Wham!
- I'll Be Home For Christmas - Bing Crosby
- Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow - Dean Martin
- Deck the Halls - Nat King Cole
- You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - Jackson 5
- Linus & Lucy - Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
Now, prior to the tournament, we also took prediction brackets for the tournament and the closest prediction bracket will win our grand prize of Grace Digital’s Mondo+ Classic in Black and a Live365 swag pack (shirt, hat, & surprise gift)! So, without further ado, the closest prediction bracket was...
A huge congratulations goes out to Christopher for making the closest predictions! We will be reaching out to him individually via email to gather the necessary details for him to receive his prize.
With all that said, we hope that you enjoyed following along with the tournament and we're looking forward to bringing the tournament back bigger and better next holiday season!
For all your music needs, head over to Live365.com for the best variety of radio stations around.