Creating an internet radio station can seem intimidating, but it doesn't have to be difficult. To help you get started broadcasting in no time, below are six easy steps to create a basic internet radio station!
When you think of a radio station, you probably picture big towers and lots of fancy equipment inside a high-tech studio. Fortunately, none of that is required for an internet radio station.
You will, however, need the essential equipment listed below.
- Content: Most stations play music, talk, or a mix of both. Do you have the tracks you want to play? Do you have some show ideas or scripts for what you want to say?
- Computer & Internet: A reliable computer with a dependable (wired) internet source is not only essential for your station's performance, but for your own sanity. There's nothing worse than your computer crashing or your WiFi dropping in the middle of a live show!
- Microphone: If you plan on having any voiceovers or talk segments, whether pre-recorded or live, you need a microphone. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just as long as it is compatible with your computer.
- Broadcasting Platform: A broadcasting platform, such as Live365, is your one-stop-shop for internet radio. We provide an easy and intuitive platform for you to create and run your station, and we cover licensing, distribution, and monetization.
- Licensing: Whether or not you need licensing for your internet radio station all depends on what you broadcast. Most music is protected by licensing agencies that you need to work with in order to legally stream. Live365 has a working relationship with the major licensing bodies in the U.S., U.K., and Canada, so we help keep you legal.
Once you have all of the equipment listed above, you can start the initial setup of your station. This includes all of the fun stuff like station name, logo, genres, station description, and links to your website and social media pages. From there, you’ll be directed to your station’s dashboard where you can start broadcasting.
3. Start Broadcasting
Live365's platform has everything you need to begin your first internet radio broadcast. You can create playlists, schedule events, and utilize AutoDJ whenever you're away from your station. Not sure which method is best? Learn more here.
4. Additional Software
Want to go live? Each Live365 station comes with LiveDJ credentials enabling you to broadcast live using third-party software. There are plenty of third-party programs, including free ones, that are compatible with Live365 to help you go live on your station.
5. Build an Audience
Word-of-mouth is a good way to get friends and family to tune in to your station. You can also increase your station’s visibility outside of Live365’s network by listing your station in as many online radio directories as you can.
It’s possible to earn revenue from an internet radio station! By opting in to Live365’s Advertising Revenue Share Program, broadcasters can reduce their monthly streaming costs. The more listeners and ad breaks you have, the more revenue you can earn.
Get started today with Live365's 7-day FREE trial!
See how many stations have joined the Radio Revolution at live365.com/listen. Keep up with the latest news by following us on Facebook (Live365 Official and Live365 Broadcasting) and Twitter (@Live365 and @Broadcaster365)!