Coming off the platform heels of disco, the world experienced heavy metal mixed with flashy clothing, tight pants, makeup, and big hair -- staples of the '80s hair metal scene.
Hair metal has roots in the '70s drawing inspiration from KISS, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper. It emerged shortly after the dawn of MTV. Call it luck or call it fate, the visual aspects of hair metal bands appealed to audiences watching MTV which fueled the rise of the genre.
Get your Aqua Net and your zebra print pants out of storage -- we've ranked the top 10 best '80s hair metal bands and their biggest hits!
10. Poison - "Talk Dirty to Me" (Look What the Cat Dragged In, 1986)
9. Skid Row - "18 and Life" (Skid Row, 1989)
8. Warrant - "Heaven" (Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, 1989)
7. Quiet Riot - "Metal Health" (Metal Health, 1989)
6. Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It" (Stay Hungry, 1984)
5. Mötley Crüe - "Shout at the Devil" (Shout at the Devil, 1983)
4. Ratt - "Round and Round" (Out of the Cellar, 1984)
3. White Snake - "Here I Go Again" (Saints & Sinners, 1982)
2. Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (Coyote Ugly, 1987)
1. Bon Jovi - "Livin' On a Prayer" (Rock Star, 1986)
Listen to more '80s hair metal by checking out the Live365.com directory.
Article image of Twisted Sister: Andreas Lawen, Fotandi [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons.